Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Mike status update, #1

Well, screw video for now I'll get it to work later. Exciting events in the musical life of Mike? I finally bought an acoustic guitar about a week or so ago, and my gods its as if some floodgate has opened up. I've been writing like mad, touched by the poetic madness of the Runewinner no doubt.

I played on the radio last saturday (Dec. 6th) with varying degrees of success. I had planned on it sooner or later once I had some more solid originals, but Brock and Blake pushed me to do it THAT NIGHT, so we'll see how it went when I get a recording back. This was the set:

Folsom Prison (Cash) & Our Human Material (orig.)
On A Monday (Leadbelly) & An Empty Hall (orig.)
Cold, Cold Heart (Hank I) & Big River (Cash)
Home of the Blues (Cash), Give My Love to Rose (Cash) & Goodnight Irene (Leadbelly)

Yeah, I know, a lot of covers. Suck it, it's all I had at the time. It probably didn't help that I slammed 6 pints of Busch in under an hour, not counting the 3 Rockstars too...heh... Folsom was twice the speed and 5 times the intoxicated, holy shit. Maybe I'll try to post the originals up here somehow, maybe with a Gydget or something.

But for now, here's a song I've yet to demo! (there's just not enough damn time for all these things) It's what this blog was named after, do enjoy.


LATE NIGHT, RED DAWN-M.Magnusson
.
As day turns to night
a certain madness we fight
Slip the knives from your pillow
and be gone
--late night, red dawn
.
A wasteland of an empty man
whose gaze surveys the sky
He sighs and looks back to realize
that time does fly
.
He is chained to the earth
with no measure of worth--
remove the petals from your eyes
and move on
--late night, red dawn
.
As night turns to day
and our lives float away
raise your hands to the sky
and retire...
--late night, red dawn
.

No comments: